The SABS provide services that impact on the performance of companies, individual industries and the economy by lowering the risk of product and service failures while breaking the information asymmetry on market requirements. The SABS provides a catalyst for economic growth through quality assurance.
- The goals of the SABS are aligned with those of the Department of Trade and Industry (the dti) and the broader government effort to grow the South African economy. In the next five years the SABS will work towards realising the following goals:
- To provide standardization and conformity assessment services that support the National Industry Policy Framework (NIPF) and facilitate development and regional economic activity.
- Allow broader participation and access to the national standardization process and services.
- Develop standards and provide conformity assessment services that protect the integrity of the South African market.
- Provide the conformity assessment services to support growth of nascent industries.