The SAFW Renault New Talent Search is one of the most established and prestigious fashion talent searches in South Africa. It is an annual competition that not only identifies South Africa’s hottest design talent, but also provides the winning designer with a springboard (and therefore competitive business advantage) into SA’s vibrant fashion arena.
There is no theme.
Fashion is no longer prescriptive, so we believe the New Talent Search should reflect the changes taking place in the fashion arena. Instead, we’ve looked to the driving principles of the competition’s sponsor – Renault – for guidelines. These principles mirror life in the 21st century. We’re obviously looking for dynamic and expressive design: this competition is all about showing us what you’ve got. We live in a digital era, so inspiration from advanced technologies cannot be ignored: we are looking for designs that are not only aspirational, but also progressive and most importantly powerful. We need to see not only your distinct handwriting as a designer, but proof of why you’re the next big name in fashion.
As competition in the fashion world is fierce, we need to ensure the 2013 winner is head and shoulders above the rest. This year’s competition will therefore have an additional elimination round: in essence a semi-final round before the final - the actual show at SAFW in October. You will see that the entry mechanism has also changed. We no longer just want a storyboard, but also evidence of how seriously you want a career in fashion. Read the entry requirements very carefully. As with fashion, the devil is in the detail. Today’s fashion industry is not for the feint hearted, but the rewards are worth it.
WHAT’S AT STAKE
- The winner receives a R20 000 cash prize from Renault South Africa to help further their fashion business The winner also receives the use of a branded Renault Megane Coupe for a year (inclusive of insurance, but excluding petrol) valued at R60 000.00
- The winner will get the opportunity to show a satellite Collection as part of a 4 designer package at the SAFW Spring/Summer 2014 season – 6 months after the SAFW Renault New Talent Search to the value of R 12 027,00.
- The winner will be flown to Berlin to attend Berlin Fashion Week as part of a travel seminar in June 2014 to the value of R30 000,00.
- Representation by The Fashion Agent for 1 year
- All finalists will be granted access to the Buyers Lounge – A/W 2013 – not to sell but to engage with buyers and conduct market research for their own brands during the two days to the value of R3 420,00.
- All the finalists get another opportunity to access the buyers lounge for summer 2013/2014 – a second season in the SAFW buyers cycle, and another opportunity to refine their retail offering
- All the finalists including the winner, will receive space on the Renault South Africa stand at the SAFW Pop Up Shop in Sandton 2014 to the value of R7 000,00.
- Total value of prize: ± R 130 000.00
You must register online. Click here for more information and here to go to SAFW website.
Should you experience technical difficulties, contact:
(T) 011 442 7812
Acceptance of entries close Monday, 24 June and semi-finalists will be informed by mid-July.